History of Vladivostok airport is inexorably associated with milestones of «Vladivostok Avia» airline establishment. 75 years of hard everyday work, hopes, victories and ambitions have passed.
The 30`s saw active airport development and construction for domestic and Soviet republics throughout the country. The first airfield and airspace development of the Primorye region began in 1931. In the summer of 1932, the first solo flights with commercial purposes were conducted. Construction also began on a hydro-airport at Vladivostok`s Second River region, and another airport named Key Lakes outside of Vladivostok in Artyom. On August 27th, 1932, ahydroplane completed the first technical flight; and on September 2nd of the same year, the plane delivered four passengers from Khabarovsk to Second River. That day now marks the official beginning of Vladivostok`s aviation enterprise.
From that day on, passenger flights between Khabarovsk and Vladivostok became a regular occurrence. In 1934, the Second River airport was moved to a dry location and became the basis for the U-2 planes and from where regular flights were made. There were also new airports opened in Iman and Ozernye Klyuchi; a sanitary aviation created; and new planes and services tested.
During the war, the Po-2 plane carried supplies of lead-tin concentrates needed on the wars fronts, and towards the end of the war, ammunition to the front lines. In July of 1941 a fleet of U-2, P-5, and Sh-2 planes were transferred to Ozernye Klyuchi, opening a new era of development in the history of Primorye civil aviation.
In the ten year period following the war, Po-2 and Sh-2 planes were used for a wide range of chemical, nautical, geological, and forest applications. Airfields in Primorye continued to develop rapidly, serving as the basis for the construction of airports in the 60`s and 80`s. Passenger flights from Vladivostok to Moscow began in 1948 on Il-12 planes.
1956, the beginning of Primorye`s passenger jet engine era was symbolized by the introduction of the Tu-104 plane. In May of 1958, the Tu-114D completed the first trial non-stop flight from Moscow to Vladivostok while In August of the same year the Vladivostok aviation industry began basic use of the Li-2 plane which continued to operate regular passenger flights from Ozernye Klyuchi to Khabarovsk for the next 15 years.
By that time the Ozernye Klyuchi airport had exhausted its limits for expansion as required by the larger jet engine planes. From 1959 to 1964 a complex of ground facilities were erected to allow regular flights for Tu-104`s (1958), Il-18`s (1963) and AN-10`s (1964) thereby sharply increasing passenger volumes. In February of 1961, the first brick terminal was built facilitating the processing of up to 200 passengers. This marked the beginning of the big airport known as Vladivostok.
The emergence of small jet Yak-40 planes and Mi-8 helicopters helped facilitate transport as well as meet the economic demands of industries. In 1973, the aviation enterprise started construction of a new terminal which began operating at the end of 1976. The Vladivostok airport began regular service of Tu-154`s. This period also witnessed a more dynamic development of the industry`s fleet as new squadrons of Yak-40`s and Mi-8`s were created. The completion of a second runway in June of 1985 opened up the airport for all modern aircraft and provided for the non-stop air service between Moscow and Vladivostok onboard Il-62 planes.
In 1990, having signed an agreement in Papua New Guinea for the use of Ka-32 helicopters, the aviation enterprise entered the international arena. In 1992, Vladivostok became an international airport. That same year, the company bought two Il-76 planes and began basic service on Il-76 Tu-154 aircrafts.
Since 1994, we have been an openly traded stock company, Vladivostok Air, whose holdings include an airline and airport. On March 4th, 1999, the renovated international terminal was put into operation.
In December 2006 large scale reconstruction of domestic terminal was completed in Vladivostok Airport.
On February 15, 2008 JSC Vladivostok Air completed reorganization, and JSC Vladivostok International Airport was separated. Vladivostok International Airport included into Russian register of open joint stock companies.